OT: Samsung 2343 monitor

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 28 20:35:47 UTC 2009

Hi Dave.

2009/12/28 Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> Giles, would you suggest that monitor to someone else thinking of
> buying it? With the difficulties or is it not worth the trouble?

It's a lovely display, and quite high resolution, at a reasonable
price.  It's a very wide ratio, hope you like that.  The controls are
definitely a bit of a curse: unlike a hardware button, you can trigger
them by getting pretty much any part of your anatomy in range of the
lower right bezel.  And you can't find them in the dark by feel
(although random stuff may pop up on the screen as you grope around
and trigger the wrong ones).  I wouldn't buy another one, but I guess
I don't hugely regret it either: I can't afford a more expensive
monitor and this is the only way I can get anything past the 1920x1080
mark.  I can see that some people might be fine with the controls - or
even think that they were really cool.  Your call.

Take a look at the photo at http://www.gilesorr.com/forOthers/ - not
sure how much it'll help, but the point is this is a smooth plastic
bezel with icons: nothing tactile at all.  (The photo is transient and
will vanish in a week or a month.)

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/