Xdmx segfaults

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 28 20:07:14 UTC 2009

Has anyone used Xdmx recently?  I've seen references that suggest that
both Debian and Ubuntu have been shipping with broken versions for
over a year: I certainly haven't been able to get it to do anything
other than segfaulting.

A couple weeks ago I followed this tutorial:
http://intellilinux.info/node/25 which explains how to combine two
Xephyr X sessions together.  I got a segfault.  Today I tried to
follow http://mitros.org/p/xdmx-setup.html to combine screens across a
desktop and a laptop.  I got a remarkably similar segfault.

Even if Xdmx is unable to deal with my X setup (nvidia proprietary
driver, Xinerama) it should exit gracefully and give useful errors.
It's doing neither of these things.  The latter tutorial is from about
a year ago, and recommends getting a significantly older version of
Xdmx: I had hoped because they'd had a year since that tutorial to fix
known bugs I wouldn't have to consider that possibility, but if I want
to use Xdmx this is seeming like the likeliest route - although
library incompatibilities may become an issue.  Thoughts?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org