semi-OT: multiple monitors with Dell Inspiron 530

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 27 19:41:58 UTC 2009

Hi Alexandre.

2009/12/27 Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar <alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> I passed this same deception with a Dell OptiPlex 745. I installed a
> nVIDIA Dual Head card and the onboard on gone disabled. I asked Dell
> support team and they said it's not possible to have onboard and
> PCI/PCI-E cards working together. I had to add a second PCI card to
> have 3-heads setup.

Did you do that?  Did you actually buy and successfully install a PCI
video card?  Because my limited testing suggests that the Dell BIOS
would disable the PCI-E video card if you used a PCI video card and
vice versa.  I have a spare, very old PCI card that I can try, I
suppose that would be the sensible thing to do.  I'll try that and
report back.

> If you have more than one PCI-E slots, put 4 heads on it ;)

Two or more PCI-E slots cost money.  Dell doesn't spend any more of
that than they have to.  I only wish I had another PCI-E slot ...

Right at the moment I'm looking at Xdmx, but it's not very promising
as it means having to run two computers, and it also would probably
make suspending the main machine extremely iffy - I'm not up to
writing suspend scripts at all, never mind the level of complexity
that would probably be required to re-establish an Xdmx connection
after the machine came out of suspend ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org