semi-OT: multiple monitors with Dell Inspiron 530

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 27 04:31:30 UTC 2009

The previously mentioned Samsung monitor is now attached to a Dell
Inspiron 530 (a desktop, not a laptop).  The machine has built-in
Intel video, which would have worked fine for my purposes, except I
wanted dual head.  So I bought a Nvidia 6200 based dual head PCI-E
card, which I've been reasonably happy with.  I already have two LCDs
attached to the Dell, but it would appear that it's impossible to add
a third to this machine.  I've updated the BIOS to the latest version
and it's still impossible to use the onboard and PCI-E video cards at
the same time.  If you boot with both connected, a BIOS level warning
comes up: "oooh, I see you have an add-in card, you couldn't possibly
want to use this.  To fix this problem please turn off the machine and
disconnect the built-in card."  Okay, I changed the wording, but
that's what it says.  You can force it to go on ... and then it
disables the PCI-E and boots up.  The reverse is also possible: if you
boot with the PCI-E, the onboard is disabled.  It treats PCI cards the
same way: "this is the built-in card you don't want to use etc."  So
it would appear that using three screens on this machine, which was my
intention, is impossible.

Is there any way to get around this?  So far I've come up with "never
buy Dell again" - I'm not just forestalling Lennart here, I'm totally
disgusted with them.  The one good thing about this machine is the
2.4GHz C2Q chip, which is wonderful.  The only other option seems to
be buying a new mobo.  But that would recommend a new case, and
probably a new video card, memory ... oh wait, that's practically
buying a new computer.  So no, I don't want to follow that route just
yet.  But I'd really like to have three monitors ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org