Lost my X

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 26 19:56:34 UTC 2009

Thanks Darryl...

> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:32:08 -0500
> From: darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Lost my X
>
> Are you sure you didn't install a kernel upgrade too?

I'm fairly sure. I certainly didn't do it consciously and didn't notice any kernel files during any update installs.

> Try rebooting and press <ESC> as it boots. Then you can tell grub to run
> the previous kernel instead.

Booting to a previous kernel didn't change anything. I tried a couple of kernel versions.

> Alternatively you can edit you X windows configuration file with nano
> and change the line which says:
> Driver nvidia
> and change it to:
> Driver nv
>
> This will disable 3d acceleration.

This did something. It went into X, but I never got a desktop - just a blank screen with the cursor and the spinning hour glass going on forever. The desktop login audio file played, but no desktop.

> To get your latest kernel to work with your 3d driver you may also need
> to run a program called nvidia-xconfig.

I ran nvidia-xconfig. One thing it did was to change the Driver from nv back to nvidia. It also overwrote my config backup file that I had made by giving it the same name. Gotta be careful with that one. Anyway, the change brought it right back to square one. I changed the Driver back to nv in the config file and it's back to having X with no desktop.

> Hope that helps.
> marry xmas --> you too! and happy new year.
> darryl

Thanks,

John