Lost my X

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 26 18:04:19 UTC 2009

I lost X on my main PC. It was working fine one day; the next day (after shutting it down for the night) it would only boot to terminal mode. What I recall doing the previous day was to install "cheese " for a webcam I was trying out and also doing some security updates.

I found the error messages to do with the problem, but don't understand them enough to fix it. It's on a Mandriva 2009 box. The video card is OK as I can boot to X with Knoppix.

Below is a summary of the error messages I got from Xorg.0.log and dmesg, in case anyone can help:

Messages from dmesg:
<snip>
NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 173.14.09, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 100.14.19.  Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.
<snip>
bootsplash 3.1.6-2004/03/31: looking for picture...<6>...found (800x600, 14966 bytes, v3).
bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on
<the above two bootsplash lines are printed for consoles 0 to 5>
<snip>
<the messages below appear after every "startx" command>
NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 173.14.09, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 100.14.19.  Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.

Messages from Xorg.0.log:
<snip>
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  173.14.09  Wed Jun  4 23:47:25 PDT 2008
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:0d:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset NVIDIA GPU found
<snip>
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "false"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Disabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Thanks for any direction to resolve this. I've been at it Thursday and am no further ahead.

John.