lame

Mr Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 26 06:00:38 UTC 2009

John Myshrall wrote:
> Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>> I use ubuntu. I want to convert a .wav to an .mp3
>>
>> Here is what I have done:
>>

>> ## install lame:
>> sudo apt-get install shntool
>> sudo apt-get install lame
>>
>> #to convert /home/chris/Desktop/meetMe.wav ---to-->
>> /home/chris/Desktop/meetMe.mp3:
>>
>> lame -V2 /home/chris/Desktop/meetMe.wav ---to-->
>> /home/chris/Desktop/meetMe.mp3

>> Unfortunately it did not take.
>>
>> I got,
>>
>> chris at cpc:~$ lame -V2 /home/chris/Desktop/MeetMe.wav
>> /home/chris/Desktop/MeetMe.mp3
>> LAME 3.97 32bits (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
>> CPU features: MMX (ASM used), SSE
>> polyphase lowpass filter disabled
>> Encoding /home/chris/Desktop/MeetMe.wav to
>> /home/chris/Desktop/MeetMe.mp3
>> Encoding as 22.05 kHz VBR(q=2) single-ch MPEG-2 Layer III (ca. 7.3x)
>> qval=3
>> Only 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit input files supported
>> chris at cpc:~$
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Chris
>> --
> Audacity can convert it.

Yeah, I had tried that but until Fabio's got me to install
'ubuntu-restricted-extras', Audacity would not let me export as .mp3. It
kept suggesting a file (called 'lamemp3[something].so'] and offering to
download (which it would not). Now, with 'ubuntu-restricted-extras'
Audacity will export as .mp3, from files which I rip from CDs with
sound-juicer (which likewise would not do this before installing
'ubuntu-restricted-extras'.
> IIRC you already have it and use it in your music studio.

Good memory. I actually tried a couple of years ago to get Audacity to
work with an E-MU 1212 pci card until I finally figured out that the
linux driver didn't have 'capture'. Then I found that 'capture' means
record. So, I had a soundcard with which I couldn't record under linux.
Aargh! Disgusted and nine months late starting a project because I was
trying to remain Windows-free, I bought a used Windows computer and
started using Nuendo. The E-MU crapped out and I got an Audiophile 192
which did funny things under the used DELL, so I got a used IBM which
would run the Audiophile at all, os I got an NRV10 firewire mixer.

I try not to use my Windows box for anything but music recording (it's
not even on the Internet). That's why I'm doing my daughter's .mp3 stuff
on the linux box. I must admit I finally broke down and got an .mp3 player.

It will be a while before I try linux with music recording again.

But I'm happily doing everything else in linux: spreadsheets for my
piano tuning business, printing, Internet, playing music for private
guitar students (sometimes from CDs but mostly youtube). Linux rocks.
maybe I'll plug my NRV10 into it and see what grief I can get into.

;)

> Lame is required.

I actually "had lame" via 'sudo apt-get install lame' but it wasn't
enough - I needed the 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' as well.

Thanks, John.

Chris