X on a Server?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 22 01:47:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I need to re-do my file and mail server for the house. I intend to
> install Debian, as was on my old server that suffered a hardware death.
>
> Is there any need to install X on a server? Perhaps for some
> configuration tools? My old server didn't have it, but if it's useful,
> I'll add it this time.

Hi John. There is a difference betweeen installing components of the X
client environment and installing the X server.

There's a strong argument that an Xserver should _not_ be installed on a
server.  Any software you install is a potential source of instability and
insecurity.  The Xserver is a large app that runs as root and bangs
hardware.  As a result running an Xserver on a server is inviting
instability.

Even if you need to run gui apps on the server box you can do that
remotely as X is network transparent. You run the app on your server and
display it elsewhere.  Running apps remotely will require installing at
least part of the X client environment on the server.

BTW, unless you already know, go away and make sure you understand the
definitions of Xserver and X client.  Some people consider them
non-intuitive.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com