X on a Server?

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 20:59:50 UTC 2009

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> I would like to use from home a few programs on a remote server. I would
> use them from x-windows (from terminal) on my home computer, by issuing
> "ssh -X"
>
> The programs are like these:
>
> nedit, gedit, gimp, ooffice.

In this scenario, these "X Clients" are executing on the remote server,
but are displaying on the "X Server" that is running on your home
computer. These X Clients require only the Xlib's be installed on the
remote server to be able to run -- they just need to talk X Protocol
over the socket, which is what the Xlib's provide.

> Will I be able to use them that way if X-server is not installed or
> remote machine?
> And what if X-server is installed but not running?

It makes no sense to install and run an X Server on your remote server,
unless you're able to sit at the server's monitor and keyboard. If there
is no monitor/keyboard, on a headless server, it makes even less sense
to have X Server installed.

What you might want to do is run a VNC server on your remote server.
Then you could run X Clients on your remote server (or anywhere,
actually), and have them display on the virtual X Server. Then you can
connect/reconnect to this remote/virtual X server, and not have to
recreate your window manager layout, etc. Since this VNC server only
needs to talk X Protocol, you only need Xlib on the server - you still
don't need XServer installed.

--
Yanni