Web Cams Revisited

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 20:19:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 06:47:44PM +0000, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'll be picking up a web cam plus headset w/ built-in mike in the next day or so. This subject came up recently and I saved some emails with advice that I thought I could use, along with product recommendations, etc. Unfortunately, I can't access my mail server right now due to hardware problems.
>
> I'm trying to recall what someone said (I think it was Lennart) about making sure to pick one up with a certain specification, which would pretty well ensure success. Is there such a thing as a spec to look for in web cams?

Get one that is UVC compliant.  I believe anything with a Vista or
Windows 7 compliancy logo will be since I believe that was a requirement
of that certification.  One of the nice things microsoft has done in fact.

UVC is USB Video Class.  I believe there is a UAC for audio as well
which is nice to have too, especially on the headset for example,
although I don't think it is refered to by that name as often.

--
Len Sorensen