Web Cams Revisited

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 20:09:16 UTC 2009

2009/12/21  <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>:
> I'll be picking up a web cam plus headset w/ built-in mike in the next day or so. This subject came up recently and I saved some emails with advice that I thought I could use, along with product recommendations, etc. Unfortunately, I can't access my mail server right now due to hardware problems.
>
> I'm trying to recall what someone said (I think it was Lennart) about making sure to pick one up with a certain specification, which would pretty well ensure success. Is there such a thing as a spec to look for in web cams?

The Dynex webcam previously recommended by Evan and complained about
by me is now working just fine for me, as it did for him (sorry Evan).
 Probably PEBKAC: I just chose the wrong (and likely very old)
software.  luvcview seems to be a very nice basic app, it "just works"
for me, and is great for testing.  The Dynex
(http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10098615&catid=10498)
is $35 (and occasionally cheaper), and readily available at Future
Shop - or was, six months ago.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/