Web Cams Revisited

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 18:53:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 13:47,  <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'll be picking up a web cam plus headset w/ built-in mike in the next day or so. This subject came up recently and I saved some emails with advice that I thought I could use, along with product recommendations, etc. Unfortunately, I can't access my mail server right now due to hardware problems.
>
> I'm trying to recall what someone said (I think it was Lennart) about making sure to pick one up with a certain specification, which would pretty well ensure success. Is there such a thing as a spec to look for in web cams?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John.
>                                          --

Here it is, this is what he sent the list in reply to someone else's
post...don't you just love Gmail:

It should have a UVC logo on the package.  It's a major selling feature
since anything windows XP SP1 and higher has drivers built in so no
drivers need to be installed.

I remembered wrong.  XP SP2 added support for UVC.

Apparently webcams must be UVC to get a Vista Certified logo according
to wikipedia.  Even the PS3 supports UVC, so these days any new webcam
would be insane if it wasn't UVC based.

A short list (far from complete) is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USB_video_class_devices
many more here:
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

--