X on a Server?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 18:37:14 UTC 2009

I would have a simple question to these of you who are much better than
me. That question will, hopefully, provide an answer to the original
question on that subject.

An example:

I would like to use from home a few programs on a remote server. I would
use them from x-windows (from terminal) on my home computer, by issuing
"ssh -X"

The programs are like these:

nedit, gedit, gimp, ooffice.

Will I be able to use them that way if X-server is not installed or
remote machine?
And what if X-server is installed but not running?

My understanding is that if some libraries are not installed on remote
server than these programs may not work (rather due to an improper
design). But is it necessary to install and RUN x-server?

Well, my understanding is that.. well... it depends. Could you confirm
please?

zb.