Avoiding Rogers DNS breakage

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 19 12:29:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This requires manual intervention whenever they change DNS server IP
> addresses.  I don't think that happens often -- perhaps a couple of
> times in 10 years.  But still annoying.

I recommend using the IP range that Darryl suggested. I've used them
for a while and they are very reliable. You also have the choice of
Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or 4.3.2.1)[1][2] or OpenDNS. OpenDNS does
do some advert-redirecting, but there is a way to opt-out of it.

(The 4.2.2.[1-6] DNS servers appear to belong to either Level 3 or Verizon[3])

In any case, it's there are a number of highly available DNS servers
that don't pull stuff like ISPs seem to like to pull. You should be
able to set these as your DNS server and leave it for the next 20
years without fiddling. I always plug a couple public DNS servers into
my router instead of the one my ISP's DHCP provides.

[1] http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
[2] http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=975093
[3] http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=974972
--