Is there interest in a talk on clustering?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 17 22:59:45 UTC 2009

colin davidson wrote:
> I'd be interested. Also, if there is too much for a single
> presentation, could it be broken down into several.
>
> For instance:
>
> - An introduction to clustering, what it's good for and how to set up
> a basic cluster.
> - Virtualization, KVM, XEN (and others) pros, and gotchas.
> - Virtual Machines on clusters, starting, stopping, migrating etc.
>
> and so on...
>
> Cheers, Colin

I thought about that, but I'd be worried about a) dominating the talk
schedule and b) the ungodly amount of work it would take to do each.
Anywho, I'm thinking of a specific build that would incorporate most of
your list... I've also been thinking about doing a follow up "seminar"
type deal similar to what I suggested earlier.

If I do the talk, and it's looking like there is enough interest, then I
may do a Saturday/Weekend thing anyway where I can talk the time and
those with enough interest and actually work through a build of an
actual cluster. The only real trick to that is coming up with the money
for enough proper hardware to use... Something I want to do anyway, so
it's more a question of "financial timing". :P

Anyway, I've been giving this a fair bit of thought today and I think I
have a rough idea of what I can reasonably cover in a two-hour talk that
would still be useful. Basically;

- What is a cluster and what isn't it.
- What are the different types of clusters.
- What problems clusters solve and what problems they introduce.
- Cluster-specific terminology, hardware and software.
- A (very) quick overview of Xen; What is it, what is domO vs domU.
- Overview of an example 2-node cluster using shared storage via
DRBD+LVM hosting Xen VMs
- How networking in the above clustering works... one *big* gotcha.
- How to make a cluster stable. "A running cluster is not, in itself, a
stable cluster (another huge gotcha)!

Madi