apt-get vs aptitude

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 17 06:11:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What is the difference between using apt-get and aptitude to install
> packages?
>
> I'm using aptitude because if I recall correctly it manages the package
> dependencies better, where as apt-get will not. I recall having to use
> synaptic to fix a problem once and that when I stopped using apt-get.

The essential difference is that aptitude represents a "captive,
GUI-ish" interface (albeit in a terminal window) whereas apt-get is
purely scriptable/commandable.

aptitude is a bit nicer at handling the interaction where you're not
quite sure what you want to install, and want to browse + select +
browse some more before deciding what to commit to.

apt-get is perfectly good at coping with installing particular
packages or sets thereof, as long as you have already identified those
sets.
Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html