OT: looking for a local wikipad

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 17 05:02:53 UTC 2009

Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Windows I use Wikidpad, it is a local wiki notepad, is there something
>> like this for Linux? I don't want to install setup a server etc.
>
> If you are running Gnome you might want to check out Tomboy -
> http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/features.html - I haven't used it
> myself but it was mentioned to me again today and I plan to check it
> out.
>
> Anyone using it?

FYI: I just installed it (tomboy) my KDE, you don't need to be running
on Gnome. If you're on ubuntu or debain missing dependencies will
usually get downloaded. In my case I didn't need to download anything
other than Tomboy.

Tomboy is just ok, I don't like that fact that it needs to open a new
notepad when I jump from topic to topic. I don't see a way in the
setting to be able to navigate in a single view.

1) I also don't like having to use the menu to markup text i.e making it
bold or highlighted

2) Would also be nice to display a parent/child tree structure like
wikidpad does. I find that more useful than a list of notes.

For what it's worth I prefer Scott's mention of 'TiddlyWiki', nothing to
install, works like you come to expect a wiki should work, plus you have
good search support.

I ended up purge(ing) tomboy.

--
Kind Regards,