Widescreen Optimum Use

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 16 22:00:50 UTC 2009

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| If the driver knows the video chip well enough it can set the resolution
| itself.

Sure.

|  Only vesa should have any reason to use the BIOS for modes
| anymore.

Open source drivers for hardware without public specifications have
suffered from this.  I've even experienced it with Intel open-source
drivers (but not recently).

|  Of course some chips simply can't generate some resolutions.

Yes, but not so much these days.  Lots of old chips could not generate
high resolutions.  Frame buffer size sometimes used to be a limitation
on resolution too, but not for a long time.

| > My KVMs are old enough that the don't pass DDC/EDID.  They don't lie.
|
| Not passing it is pretty close to lying, and pretty pathetic to not
| support something that was common on monitors in 1995.  When did you
| buy these things?

They are about 10 years old.  The monitor plugged into it is 12 years
old.  Some of the computers connected to it are about a decade old
too; one is two weeks old.