Widescreen Optimum Use

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 16 04:20:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:11:26 +0000
<john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I recently bought an LCD monitor for my mother-in-law. She was looking for a square monitor, but all there is nowadays is the widescreen. It's a Samsung 21.5" screen.
>
> She is using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (I know, I should upgrade it for her one of these days). With the widescreen, the background picture gets spread out and looks very unnatural. From the settings on the monitor itself, I restricted the screen to a square size. The background looks good, but there's a lot of real estate unnecessarily lost.
>
> What's the best way to handle a widescreen monitor? I'd be happy with having the background picture cut back to a square, but would like the icons and any open applications to use the full screen.

   I have just bought a widescreen 21.5" Samsung monitor too.   I generated a new background photo with a resolution of 1920x1080.  My background looks fine now.  I generated a 1280x800 background photo for my laptop.

   I was not nuts about the wide, flat screen.  I am noticing I can place documents full size, side by side on the screen.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org