Widescreen Optimum Use

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 15 17:01:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 08:17:38AM -0800, Salman Ahmed wrote:
> Does using the VGA connection/input on a widescreen LCD cause the display to be stretched or scaled? Or is it possibly due to a limitation in the video card not being able to support the widescreen display resolutions?
>
> I am sortof hijacking OP's thread, but this is something I've been wondering about: can I use a new widescreen LCD on an older system that has an old (ATI) video card that apparently doesn't seem to support widescreen resolutions?

Some cards can't drive weird resolutions.  Or at least their drivers can't.

So if your resolution is 1680x1050, a lot of older cards (or at least
their drivers) simply won't have a clue and may do 1280x1024 instead
(which will look awful).  1440x900 seems even more of a problem for
older cards.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log or email it to me and I can tell you what
resolution it picked and why.

I have not had issues with it on nvidia cards going back as far as the
5200 at least (I haven't tried a widescreen on anything older since I
don't have any around).

--
Len Sorensen