Widescreen Optimum Use

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 15 16:10:03 UTC 2009

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I recently bought an LCD monitor for my mother-in-law. She was looking for a square monitor, but all there is nowadays is the widescreen. It's a Samsung 21.5" screen.
>
> She is using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (I know, I should upgrade it for her one of these days). With the widescreen, the background picture gets spread out and looks very unnatural. From the settings on the monitor itself, I restricted the screen to a square size. The background looks good, but there's a lot of real estate unnecessarily lost.
>
> What's the best way to handle a widescreen monitor? I'd be happy with having the background picture cut back to a square, but would like the icons and any open applications to use the full screen.
>
> I've never heard anyone complain about this before, so it must be something silly I've done or overlooked.

  I recently bought a 23" HD 1080p monitor, which is connected to my
computer via DVI cable.  The desktop fills the entire screen, without
stretching.  Does the video card support DVI or HDMI?  If so, that's the
best way to go.  4:3 monitors & TVs are obsolete, so, if necessary, you
might want to upgrade the video card to support DVI or HDMI.

Also, my monitor has a VGA connector, as well as DVI & HDMI.  I use the
VGA port for my KVM switch and have to set the display to 4:3 when I use
VGA.