Avoiding Rogers DNS breakage

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 14 01:40:50 UTC 2009

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Easily fixed too.
|
| whatever dns it gives you by dhcp resolves to dns.*.rogers.com
|
| Lookup altdns.*.rogers.com and use that instead.  Perfectly sane normal
| DNS server.

This requires manual intervention whenever they change DNS server IP
addresses.  I don't think that happens often -- perhaps a couple of
times in 10 years.  But still annoying.

I think that if you are going to have to manually do anything, just
run your own nameserver, one that resolves stuff itself.  I find that
it just works.  OK, so root servers change a once in a blue moon but
your distro will probably update the list for you.

When an ISP's convenience services are inconvenient, just don't use
them.  I don't use Roger's "portal", their mail server, their DNS
(except for things for which they are authoritative).  I used their
usenet news server until they decided to improved that service (i.e.
dropped it).  I'm not even aware of any other services that they might
offer.

ISP's subtract value when they "add value".  They want to become
indispensible to you (eg. owning your email address).  Wise consumers
won't let that happen.