Ruby 1.8.6 and its patches

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 13 20:32:27 UTC 2009

William Muriithi wrote:
> Afternoon pals,
>
> Red Hat 5 ships with ruby 1.8.5, old and now rarely used anywhere, if
> my research is correct. The most heavily used version is 1.8.6
> according to some articles I came across. And interesting, 1.8.7 is
> not compatible with 1.8.6, leave alone 1.9, although this is not
> pertinent here

FYI: the Ruby draft proposal is based on 1.8.7

> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2007/03/12/ruby-1-8-6-released/
>
> Now I usually end up here and download 1.8.6 and install it when
> needed. Then on Friday, I got a feeling this has been a long approach
> all along. I am suspecting what you will get from there does not have
> any patch applied.
>
> Question is, am I into something here? More precisely, if you were to
> download the above source, would you be downloading ruby with all
> patches applied (I think there is over 280 patches already) or is this
> ruby as it was  on 12 Mar 2007?

this is the patch level I have on my ubuntu

yadav at KubuntuX64:$ ruby -v

have you read this page?

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/ruby-core/

you should be able to pull down ruby 1.8 from the branches and apply the
patch levels

> If it does not include patches, where would one go to get all the
> patches to bring it up to date?
>
> William

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav