the CIRA member record companies in the hot seat for ... copyright infringement

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 12 00:59:06 UTC 2009

Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 16:29, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Were these not the people who were suing under age children and grannies for
>> downloading music ?
>>
>> http://www.thestar.com/business/article
>> /735096--geist-record-industry-faces-liability-over-infringement
>>
>> ^^paste url on 1 line
>>
>> This is not hypocrisy, it deserves a special new word to describe it.
>>
>>  Peter
>>

> No, you're thinking of the RIAA, the CRIA hasn't sunk that low to
> start suing Canadians yet, plus it tends to be harder to bring a
> lawsuit to court in Canada.

They have, they just didn't succeed. When I got a C&D from them, I
started doing research. Found that they had sued for the ID of suspected
file sharers, and the courts said they evidence was too weak to justify
the invasion or privacy.

It's the gov't (odd, I know) that is keeping CRIA in check, definitely
not their inner morals.

Madi