HTML posts (Was: Re: Bash Script to Monitor Space by Directory.)

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 12:12:12 UTC 2009

On Thu Dec 10,2009 04:00:08 PM Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I don't remember seeing any html messages lately, so it must have
> been a multipart with both plain text and html.

Yes, both of the messages that I replied (or complained, if you wish)
about yesterday also contained a plain text section.

> That's perfectly acceptable in general.

If that's the case, then can the "No HTML" part of the tag lines
added to the end of each post be removed or changed to something like
"must include a plain text part"?

> If you choose to run a client that can display html, then that's
> your problem.

My client (an old version of Balsa) can display both HTML and plain
text parts. The problem is that it defaults to displaying HTML if
present. I find this harder to read than plain text. I have to scroll
to the end of the message and click on an icon to switch.

I will accept your belief that it's my problem, stop complaining and
live with the annoyance, if the "powers that be" agree and change the
appended tag lines to clarify.

> It is a waste of bandwidth though. :)

I still use a dial-up link to retrieve my mail so included HTML can
noticeably increase my download times.

(Please don't reply with something like "Get into the 21st century
man and get a high speed link". I still use dial-up for budgetary
reasons and mainly to retain my current e-mail address. Which, I
guess, is also my problem.)

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **