Rogers battery backup (Was: Re: What about Acanac?: wasTeksavvy ISP)

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 12:45:49 UTC 2009

On Thu Dec 10,2009 03:56:00 PM Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 03:51:06PM -0500, Michael Lauzon wrote:
>> You do know that 'Rogers' crappy phone system' comes with a
>> battery backup?
>
> Yes.  It lasts up to 5 hours.  That's totally not good enough.

Even if 5 hours is actually good enough for some, my concern would be:

Is there anything in the system to monitor, maintain and test the
batteries in the customers' boxes? Is there any guarantee that the
battery hasn't lost capacity or died over the time since a box was
installed? I can envision many Rogers customers getting only a few
minutes or less of phone use during the next lengthy power failure.

Although Bell may also use battery backup, at least it's centralised
and maintained. Being centralised, the batteries could easily be
supplemented with generators.

A customer could plug the Rogers box into a UPS in case the internal
battery fails, but is "Joe six pack" going to consider it? Plus, the
UPS battery would now have to be maintained. "Hey, we could put
another UPS in front of that UPS!" ... ;-)

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **