more ISP advice: wasTeksavvy ISP

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 10 22:10:59 UTC 2009

Michael Lauzon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 16:44, Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Sadly true about the traffic shaping I'm afraid.
>>
>> On the other hand they are at least $10/month more than my current ISP;
>> do not offer static IP (If they did I'm sure it would cost more again);
>> Block ports such as SMTP, has TOS that disallows servers; and limits
>> monthly data xfer.
>>
>> Thanks. I'll stick with the DSL resellers and put up with Bells traffic
>> shaping.
>>

> Well, I was with Bell for a few months, so I know, however it was
> different when I lived in Edmonton in 2007, Shaw Cable traffic shaped
> the hell out of everything, and when you confronted them on it they
> lied to you and said they didn't do that; Telus on the other hand
> hardly if ever traffic shaped at the time.
>
> I am currently using Rogers for everything: Digital VIP + HDPVR (don't
> have an HDTV, but it's the only way to get the PVR now), phone, and
> High Speed Ultimate (50Mbps down/2Mbps up; 175GB cap, 0.50/GB if you
> go over the cap).

Incredible, 50Mbps sustained throughput would be about 9-10 hours of
constant traffic, or ~130TB/month. That's 3 orders of magnitude more
capacity than what you get.

If you went over your 175GB at that rate, your bill would be ~$66,500.

Buy a dedicated server for a hundred bucks a month instead..

Jamon