OT: Need a new computer

Thu Dec 10 21:02:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 03:15:08PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> P5KPL-AM SE motherboard (network, video, sound on board)
>I hate microATX boards.  No expansion room.  The onboard stuff is fine
>these days.

I haven't expanded a computer in 5 years - not an issue for me.  I may
at some point add a video card - but that's no problem.

>> Seagate 320 Gb hard drive
>Avoid these like the plague.  I still think $5 or 10 to double to a
>640GB is easily worth it.  You will need it some day.  And stay away
>from seagate SATA drives.  They are morons when it comes to sata firmware.
>They have a long history of failures so far.  Not disk failures, but
>firmware failures.

I'll keep an eye on it - they didn't have the WD that I wanted.  As for
size, I haven't filled my 250Gb drive in five years of downloading TV
and movies, so I'm not worried.

>> Thermaltake 500W power supply
>I don't get a good feeling about those based on the tests I have read.
>In fact I get very bad feelings.  What I listed in the last email is a
>much better quality setup.

I was hoping for the CoolerMaster 500W, but they were out of stock.  If
I run into trouble, I'll know who to blame.

>> $530 taxes in.

This is at least $200 less than your suggested system (which looked
lovely, thank you for spec-ing it out for everyone), which I am going to
take as a win.  Time will tell.

It runs like blazes right now - the dist-upgrade plus installing all of
the programs I had on the last machine went in about an hour.
--

yours,

William