OT: Need a new computer

Thu Dec 10 17:13:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 02:01:02PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 01:29:49AM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I understand the sentiment, but I am just finishing a major, unplanned
>> home renovation, and my current computer shuts down if I launch X.
>> Waiting is not looking favourable.  Doubling my budget is not very
>> exciting.
>
>The main problem is that for $400 you get a pile of obsolete shit.
>For $800 you get very high quality current stuff.  For $2500 you get
>seriously high end stuff.
>
>The difference in quality and performance of a $400 and a $800 computer
>is huge.

Taking Lennart's comments into account, and examining my
willingness-to-pay at a threshold of $600 (educational price for a Mac
Mini), I updated my requirements.

What I ultimately want is a fully-functional Linux box - the Mac route,
though I love the power consumption and form factor, doesn't get me as
close to that as I like to that goal.

I ultimately went with this system from Filtech:

cheap case
P5KPL-AM SE motherboard (network, video, sound on board)
2 GB Kingston RAM
Core 2 Quad Q8200 (no VT support, but I don't care, and the clockspeed
jump from 1GHz to 2.3GHz will (does!) seem big enough for me)
Seagate 320 Gb hard drive
Thermaltake 500W power supply

$530 taxes in.
--