disabling replication and bin logs on MySQL v4

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 9 22:27:12 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   Being a PgSQL person, I'm woefully ignorant on the innards of MySQL.
I've inherited a MySQL server that used to replicate to a now-gone
slave. I've been trying to find out how to safely disable the master's
habit of writing out the binary logs normally read by the slave. These
generate about 9GB of files a day and the host just doesn't have the
space for that.

   I've been using "PURGE BINARY LOGS TO 'file';" to clean it up, but it
strikes me that the logs shouldn't be created at all. I was tempted to
just comment out the 'log-bin' line in 'my.cnf', but I thought it'd be
best to see what the TLUG hive-mind had to say on the topic.

Thanks!

Madi