linux and the hp officejet pro 8500 wireless

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 9 20:15:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 03:03:14PM -0500, Darryl Moore wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >
> > All I can say is the HP CM8050MFC is a disaster.  I can't anti-recommend
> > HP printers highly enough.
> >
> > My sister has an Epson Workforce 500 which has so far worked very well
> > for her (although she uses windows).  I know printing works fine with
> > gutenprint though, although for scanning iscan from linux.avasys.jp
> > seems to currently be the only working option.  Not sure how big of a
> > group it can deal with.
> >

> That's interesting. I though HP were one of the better companies in
> terms of Linux support. I've never had any problems with HP printers
> myself, though I've never used one of their scanners. Who are the better
> companies then for Linux support?

Oh HP has decent linux support for their inkjets these days.
Unfortunately their hardware is shit.  Not something their new open
source software group can fix unfortunately.

Like the opposite of ATI (great hardware with shit for software).

HP simply can't make a reliable printer anymore.  They seem to have
forgotten how.

Epson knows relaible inkjets and have by far the best inkjet technology
of anyone.  Epson does not have a clue when it comes to lasers and I
think they fortunately stopped trying years ago.  Epson does have some
cheap inkjets best avoided but they have some very good ones too.

Canon has never made a good printer and probably never will.

--
Len Sorensen