USB LCD's and Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 9 19:33:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 10:36:25AM -0800, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Does anyone know of any USB LCD's that work well with Linux.
> Preferably of the touchscreen variety.
> They don't need to be USB-powered (though that would be cool), but
> they should be able to work without a VGA/DVI cable so I can use them
> with something like a ShivaPlug, etc.

Well there are lots of LCD monitors with touch support out there,
although I suspect most use VGA or DVI for the video and serial or usb
for the touch screen.

USB to VGA adapters do exist, and linux has drivers for the sis315/net2280
based ones.

I guess combining a usb hub + LCD touch screen + usb2vga adapter would
get the job done.

> Actually, along those lines - anyone know something smallish like the
> Shiva but with a DVI/VGA/HDMI output port, and/or something I can do
> wifi with (even USB-wifi is fine)? The current Shiva only seems to
> have a single USB port...

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-24-openrd-client-openrd-client-board-with-enclosure.aspx

Has VGA output as far as I can tell, and 7 USB ports, dual gigabit,
eSATA, etc.

--
Len Sorensen