Automatic Network Shutdown / Restart

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 9 18:56:26 UTC 2009

I'm trying to condition my kids into submission over dinner time and I
am tired of the debate. Short of disabling the internet for their
accounts I wanted to set up an automated process. There is some stuff
going on here https://launchpad.net/webcontentcontrol I'm not interested
in this at this time and it appears to not have a time lock out.

I'm trying to invoke at 17:00 ifconfig eth0 down and at 19:00 ifconfig
eth0 up. I created a simple script for each command. I tested each and
they work and they are both executable. I placed them in /bin and set up
a root crontab job.

Both my home boxes are shut down at night and I think this is part of
where what I want to do fails. IIRC Cron is meant for machines that are
up 24/7 and anacron is used more so for infrequent task over a delay
period. I'm new to using cron / anacron so I'm missing the point
somewhere. I've read up that root doesn't have access to a user X
session and think this may also be part on the problem.

John