Call for salvaged hardware!

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 8 22:13:00 UTC 2009

On 12/8/09, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Maureen E.Thornton <maureen-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> How about putting out a general notice and seeing how many groups could
>> send a representative to a gathering in the "Cafe".
>
> Plausible...  I can imagine an objection, but that's David's to raise, or
> not...

C. Martens is planning a meeting for her group next Monday evening, I
will plan to be there to see see how the various groups can help each
other....

No mistake there are some challenges ahead. When it comes to space Jon
Alexander has a (small) space in the basement of a building near
Broadview subway station (donated). C. Martens has a government grant
lined up that should allow for the rental of some space (and she has
her eye on a 2,000 sq. foot location near a subway station).

Ongoing funding is a good question, Jon's group is doing things out of
their respective pockets (which thanks to the donated space, is
basicly gas money). Jon's group moves maybe 200 machines a year. C.
Martens is going bigger, beyond the government grant coming down the
pipe I'm not sure what her funding model will be... The other groups I
am even less sure about funding models....

>> There is a ton of hardware out there.  Many companies just send it to
>> the junk yard because they do not know how to dispose of it without
>> costing an arm and a leg.  I have found two in the last two weeks.  Jon
>> is going to put together something for me to use in order to show the
>> companies what a good Samaritans they could be.
>
> I don't want to be over-negative about this, but it's not all that
> easy to dispose of elderly computers effectively/economically.
>
> There are several problems that make it difficult for such enterprises
> to be particularly economical:
>
> - Enterprises needing to do disposal need to dispose of quite a lot of
> hardware.  200 computers, 150 monitors, and such.
>
> - For this to be a viable enterprise (and I am not assuming a
> particular form of business organization; I don't think not-for-profit
> versus for-profit changes the questions/answers essentially), it isn't
> just a one time shot - they need to cope with this stuff coming in
> 100x per year.
>
> - Transport and storage are both costly.  You need all of:
>  a) Real estate to accommodate the hardware in compact piles,
>  b) Real estate to represent a "work area",
>  c) Truck(s) to do delivery

Or, as Jon's groups does it, large car and a trailer (for the
quantities they deal with this is okay...).