OT: Need a new computer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 8 19:33:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 05:12:29PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> [...]
> > upgrade - unfortunately, it is a cute, tiny unit that is not
> > upgrade/fix-able, so I may need to start over.
> >
> > If you were trying to *cheaply* get a Linux-compatible desktop together
> > that I won't have to think about for another 4+ years, what would you
> > get?
> >
> > I would like to get something for under $400, taxes in.
>
> I would save my money until I could afford something that would last.
>
> > I would prefer dual core, but the most CPU-intensive thing my machine is
> > used for is Flash video (which is a lot, for no good reason).
> >
> > 2D graphics are fine.  This computer from Filtech looks reasonable:
> >
> > Weekly Special B
> > $289.99
> > Intel E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz
> > Asus P5KPL-AM SE M/B
> > Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
> > (Intel® GMA 3100) O/B
> > Kingston 1G DDR2-667
> > Seagate/WD 80G SATA2 HDD
>
> Good grief, an 80GB drive costs like $5 less than a 160GB.  Way to cut
> stupid corners for a price point.  Where did they even find one?
>
> 160GB WD: $51
> 320GB WD: $54
> 500GB WD: $61
> 640GB WD: $66
>
> Notice how many dollers it cost to go from 160 to 640?  Would you save
> $15 for a 75% drop in disk space?  The 80GB is just a couple of dollers
> less and even worse of a deal.
>
> Same for the slowpoke 667 DDR2 ram, and only 1GB?  I have bouthgt 4GB
> kits of DDR2-800 for $50 or so.
>
> Avoid the Pentium Dual Core in my opinion.  It is a seriously low end
> chip with none of the new features.  Some of those new features can be
> really handy.  I can't imagine buying a machine without VT support
> anymore.
>
> > LG or Eq. DVD-RW
> > ATX Case A601 w/420W
> >
> > I know that the CPU is a bit limited, but it will probably be fine (web
> > development, Python scripts and minor statistical number crunching will
> > be just fine).  The MB is ASUS, which I like, and the video card should
> > be easy to support - the only downside is that the PSU and case are
> > likely going to be cheap, but I can't have *everything*.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> Stay away from "specials".  Their only purpose is to get rid of leftover
> junk no one in their right mind would buy anymore.
>
> The nicest budget machine I have ever built was when a friend really
> wanted a new gaming machine but for cheap.  It came in around $800 and
> was certainly not top of the line for gaming, but it was probably within
> 50% of the top performance which was a lot less money wasn't bad.
>
> Basics needed:
> 640GB WD: $66
> Case: Whatever you like
> Powersupply: Something good around 500W.  Expect around $90.  Silencer
> 500W or TurboCool 510W are nice reliable models.
> Video card: If you don't need much, you can find lots of nice nvidia

2GB of ram costs less than 4GB, so you can save a bit there.
Say: Mushkin EM2-6400 DDR2-800 2GB (2x1GB) $57

> Core 2 E7600 (or E7500 or E7400 if you can find the model with VT since
> it doesn't cost extra): $160.
A cost saving option here is the E6300 (less cache mainly) at $85.
Some even happen to have VT apparently, although how you know when buying
it seems hard to tell.

> Asus P5QL/EPU: $93
> Total: $353 on top of the base.
>
> Or modern quad core:
> Intel Core i5 750: $230
> Asus P7P55D LE: $140
> G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3-10666: $100
> Total: $470 on top of the base.
>
> So for $700 to $800 or so you can get a modern CPU, 4GB of fast ram,
> 640GB disk space, dedicated video, high quality parts, rather than the
> cheapest parts that could be put in a case to build a "working" computer.

Making the substitutions above you get:
HD: 640GB WD: $66
Case: Something you like.  $50 should get a decent antec or coolermaster without a power supply.
Powersupply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W: $90
Video card: Asus Geforce 210 512MB: $55
DVD: $30
Mouse,keyboard: $20
RAM: Mushkin EM2-6400 DDR2-800 2GB (2x1GB) $57
CPU: Intel E6300 $85.
MB: Asus P5QL/EPU: $93
Total: $546

--