Debian upgrade rollback

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 8 17:44:01 UTC 2009

Giles Orr wrote:

> Debian keeps its package lists under /var/ .  If you restore the rest
> of the system but not /var/ then apt will still believe it's done an
> upgrade even after you reverted the system.  That kind of
> inconsistency won't be any fun at all.

Exactly why I was specifically including:

backup  /var/lib/apt    localhost/
backup  /var/lib/aptitude       localhost/

As well I should (but neglected to) have added:

backup  /var/lib/dpkg   localhost/
backup  /var/backups    localhost/

but none of the other /var/ subdirectories which are for other packages.

Of course if install scripts for other packages change these
subdirectories when they are updated (I don't think they are suppose
too) then this whole idea wont work.