OT: Need a new computer

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 8 13:18:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:29 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman <
william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 05:12:29PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >> I would like to get something for under $400, taxes in.
> >
> >I would save my money until I could afford something that would last.
>
> I understand the sentiment, but I am just finishing a major, unplanned
> home renovation, and my current computer shuts down if I launch X.
> Waiting is not looking favourable.  Doubling my budget is not very
> exciting.
>
> Also, I am not inclined to build a machine from parts myself - I don't
> do it often (i.e. not in years) and you can introduce major problems by
> doing it wrong.  I need a machine in the very near future that just
> works out of the box.
>
> To give you an idea of how much I need a machine that just works, I see
> that I can get a Mac Mini for $649, and I would be up and running
> (browsing and video) inside of an hour.  When I have more time, I can
> configure Boot Camp and run Linux on it.
>
> >Avoid the Pentium Dual Core in my opinion.  It is a seriously low end
> >chip with none of the new features.  Some of those new features can be
> >really handy.  I can't imagine buying a machine without VT support
> >anymore.
>
> I'm not sure what VT support is (virtualization, right?), and I'm willing
> to bet it wouldn't make YouTube run faster.  I don't play games, I don't
> transcode video, I don't even use OpenOffice more than twice a year.
> Firefox, vim, Python, vlc, miro, mutt - that's what my home machine
> does.
>
> I appreciate your advice, but there's no way I can build a machine, and
> if some store is willing to do it out of adequate parts, that may be the
> way I need to go.
>
> The downside to the Mac Mini is that I am less likely to upgrade it,
> whereas if I get a PC, I can upgrade bits as appropriate - swapping RAM,
> drives is no problem, but I am unwilling to seat a new CPU without adult
> supervision.  The upside of the Mac Mini is that it is small, quiet and
> adequate.
>
> (There's no way I'm paying for Windows, btw, so most other store-bought
> machines are not feasible.)
> --

Your other option is to buy a used system and upgrade it. For instance, a
lot HPs have come back on the market as lease backs and refribs. For you can
get a Athlon 64 machine for $99.

AMD athlon 64
<http://www.wintroniccomputers.com/wintronics/viewCategory.jspa?category=bf73088c2169a983012362cf46cf013c>
  [image:
AMD 64 3200+,512MB, 40GB,DVD Rom , Floppy,10/100,windows XP
PRO]<http://www.wintroniccomputers.com/wintronics/viewProduct.jspa?product=bf73088c2169a983012362d0cb3d013d>
HP
DX5150 AMD 64 3200+,512MB, 40GB,DVD Rom , Floppy,10/100,windows XP PRO
<http://www.wintroniccomputers.com/wintronics/viewProduct.jspa?product=bf73088c2169a983012362d0cb3d013d>
*$99.99*That system will support at least SATA 1 probably 2, USB 2 and at
least 4GB of RAM on a 64 Bit OS. The only warning about this line is the
power supplies can't handle a brown out so you will want a UPS. I haven't
looked at this model specifically but you should be able to upgrade the
video with at least a lowprofile PCIe Card.

Your other option is a laptop. They won't be much of a machine for under
$400 but you can get a new one that will run what you want.

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>