[OT, WHIMSY] old experience with hardware, was Linux-compatible printer

Pete Lancashire pete-6NP59FE1ho9MFQD/ygXjfdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 7 20:09:05 UTC 2009

> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 01:11 -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that it didn't use a print train (or print chain)?
>> That's what IBM 1403 printers used.
>
> Do definitly a drum.  It was 8 or 10 inches in diameter.  The raised
> characters of the printable set were arranged around the circumference,
> and this was repeated 132 times at intervals of 1/10 inch along the
> length of the drum.

[warning showing age] Not sure about the diameter but Burroughs had
a drum printer that with a upper case drum could do either 900 or 1,100
lines per minute. It optionally had a power driven lid. The down side
was the print quality sucked and it did not like recycled green bar.
If you had a bunch of pages in a row that only had a few lines and were
spitting out pages 2-3 a second the power driven paper stacker got unhappy
and you had a mess on your hands real fast.

Their answer to the 1403 came out much later it was a train printer
that I can't remember if it had a power driven lid. The ones I used
didn't.

and so that not totally off topic, in Linux old days I built a
Linux based print server to drive five Dataproducts B600's (600
lines per minute) which printed invoices all day long. It was
a 80386 with I think 8 Megs of RAM, 1 GB disk, 10 Mbs Ethernet
and a SNA port. It replaced a a box that was costing the place I
did it for $1,500 a month.

-pete also an antique