[OT, WHIMSY] old experience with hardware, was Linux-compatible printer

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 6 15:47:08 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> Are you sure that it didn't use a print train (or print chain)?
>> That's what IBM 1403 printers used.
>
> One of my brothers and I got a tour of the CN data centre in Moncton
> when I was in high school by the father of one of our schoolmates. He
> ran a program that played "Here Come the Saints" on the IBM chain
> printer. My brother and I thought it was pretty amusing but you can't
> entertain kids like that any more. :)
Way back when I was a computer tech for CN Telecommunications/CNCP
Telecommunications I serviced a couple of drum printers.  One wned by CN
and the other on the Air Canada reservation system.  Both were located
in the building at 151 Front St. W.  The chain printers I worked with
didn't have anywhere near the capacity of those drum printers.