Trying to use active USB 2.0 extension cable.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 4 18:55:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:02:40PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> By a bizarre co-incidence, I was poking around DealExtreme today and found this:
>
> http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6640
>
> USB over RJ45.  Reviews on the site are very good (and DealExtreme
> does allow negative reviews), except for the significant drawback that
> it runs at USB 1.0 speeds.  Price is reasonable at $15US.  I haven't
> used DealExtreme (they're in Hong Kong), but got the URL from a friend
> who has used them fairly frequently and reports them to be quite good.
>  Not sure if this is helpful, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Just remember that when you power one of these extenders by the usb
port, that leaves a lot less power at the other end for your device.
To some extent I think just using powered USB2 hubs with standard 15'
cables will solve both problems at once.  You get to where you want to
get, while using standard supported usb parts, and you get a good feed
of power to the end device (camreas in this case I guess).  Almost
certainly a power feed will be needed at the end of those other extenders
anyhow, so why bother with them.

--
Len Sorensen