Trying to use active USB 2.0 extension cable.

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 4 18:02:40 UTC 2009

2009/12/4 jim <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>:
> On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 11:38 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 03:04:07AM -0500, jim wrote:
>> > I'm trying to use an active USB 2.0 extension cable and it doesn't seem
>> > to be recognized properly. I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty ( unfotunately the
>> > modules are compiled into kernel or I'd try removing uhci_hcd) Below is
>> > dmesg output:
>> >
>> > usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
>> > hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>> > usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
>> > usb 6-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
>> > usb 6-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>> > hub 6-2:1.0: USB hub found
>> > hub 6-2:1.0: 4 ports detected
>> >
>> > At first it is recognized as USB 2.0 device ie ehci_hcd driver but
>> > ultimately becomes uhci_hcd device. It is this device
>> > http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329301&CatId=444
>> >
>> > Maybe it is just a lousy device. Problem is I can't get a USB 2.0 web
>> > camera to work properly with it. Can anyone recommend an an active USB
>> > 2.0 extension that works with Linux . Eventually I need about 30 feet so
>> > was hoping to use two of these. The literature says you can string up to
>> > 5 together. I know my USB bus is ok since USB 2.0 hubs work ok and the
>> > camera works ok when directly plugged into my computer. Any suggestions?
>> > Eventually I will be hooking up 4 cameras.
>>
>> Have you considered doing:
>>
>> 15' USB cable connected to a powered USB2 hub, then another 15' cable
>> and another powered hub?
>>
>> Looking at the reviews this product sounds rather flacky.
>>
> Thanks Lennart . I wasn't sure if that was the same thing ie cable
> powered hub cable powered hub etc. Good idea. Maybe I'll try that next.
> I only looked at the product reviews after I bought them. Ya looks like
> it is a real dud from the reviews.
> jim

By a bizarre co-incidence, I was poking around DealExtreme today and found this:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6640

USB over RJ45.  Reviews on the site are very good (and DealExtreme
does allow negative reviews), except for the significant drawback that
it runs at USB 1.0 speeds.  Price is reasonable at $15US.  I haven't
used DealExtreme (they're in Hong Kong), but got the URL from a friend
who has used them fairly frequently and reports them to be quite good.
 Not sure if this is helpful, but thought it was worth mentioning.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org