case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 3 11:46:41 UTC 2009

On Wed Dec 02,2009 05:23:49 PM Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well personally it isn't a case for me ever.  I hate drive bay
> doors. They are a totally stupid idea.

If a Sonata case would be suitable and desirable in all other
aspects, I believe the door can be removed easily and the case still
looks reasonable without it.

> If my software ejects the drive with the door closed, bad things
> might happen.

Assuming that you're talking about a CD/DVD drive with a tray:
If the drive doesn't have the power to force the bay door open, then
most likely the tray motor would just stall. The drive would detect
this and retract the tray, with no damage done. The tray mechanism is
designed to take this kind of abuse for people who like to close the
tray by pushing on it, instead of using the open/close button.
Sticking a piece of soft foam on the inside of the bay door, in front
of the tray, to cushion it, would make things even safer.

It might be a different story for a slot load drive, but a foam
cushion might be sufficient in this case (no pun intended), as well.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **