security of gmail

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 3 01:32:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 17:43 -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> > So, I just wonder, to what extent gmail.com can protect me from unwanted
> > survillance by Russians when I actually send and receive emails from
> > Russia? I use gmail secure pop and smtp, but how are they really secure?
> > Anyone is able to comment on that?
>
> Google has caved to the Chinese before, I don't see why they'd stand up
> to the Russians. If you need secure communications, you are probably
> best to invest in your own server, preferably outside Russia, and use a
> secure connection to it.

Don't rely on google to protect you from anything.

Protect your IP address by using TOR or something like it:

    http://www.torproject.org/

And install the FireGPG add-on to gmail to encrypt everything you send.

Then, make everyone encrypt the e-mail that they send you.

I'll leave the last part for you to figure out...

Let me know when you do.

Regards,
--matt