Two new toys; Perfect Linux support

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 22:56:53 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   I decided to finally give bluetooth a go with my new laptop, so I
picked up a headset and a mouse. Specifically, I got:

Motorola H710 (bonds to two devices at one; laptop and phone)
-
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/CA-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Headsets/Bluetooth-Headset-H710-80190-CA-EN

Razer Orochi mouse:
- http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi/

   Both worked immediately with my laptop (Lenovo T400s running Ubuntu
9.10 x86_64). The headset works fine and was simple to bond to both my
phone and laptop. Tested it on the laptop using Skype. I had to tweak
the volume as it has a different sensitivity from the built-in mic, but
otherwise works well.

   The mouse was even easier to setup. I set it into bond mode and Linux
say it and knew it by name. I clicked to use it and that was it. As for
Razer as a company, I've had their Lachesis mouse and Lycosa keyboard
for about a year now on my home PC and they are easily the best I've
ever had. The only thing that topped the keyboard was the one on this
laptop, but I could almost call it a draw as the laptop doesn't have the
back light.

   Anyway, if anyone was in the market for either a headset or mouse,
I'd recommend both. Oh, and the mouse comes with a removable USB cable.
If the batteries die or if you want faster reaction and more frequent
polling, plug in the cable and there ya go. Comes with a bag to protect
the mouse while bouncing around in your backpack, too.

Madi