security of gmail

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 22:20:56 UTC 2009

Now, I would have a good question for this list.

As you know or not, I am now in Russia. I use normally my gmail.com
account to send and receive emails.

I know almost for sure that I am followed by Russian Secret Intelligence
(heh, I am indeed somewhat oversensitive to these issues, but I have
also good confirmation that that kind of activity if going on around).
That by CIS is likely too. Not that I care much about that, but anyway
one would like sometime to be more certain about privacy. In fact -
never ever trust a government agency, and I believe that I am right in that.

So, I just wonder, to what extent gmail.com can protect me from unwanted
survillance by Russians when I actually send and receive emails from
Russia? I use gmail secure pop and smtp, but how are they really secure?
Anyone is able to comment on that?

That gmail.com can be viewed with high likeness by CIS I assume as granted.

Please.

zb.