case recommendations? and what I bought on Black Friday

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 2 22:10:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:32:04PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> I will echo a thumbs up for Silverstone cases. My most recent case
> purchase was a Silverstone Grandia GD04 microATX case, just over $100
> without a power supply. In my books expensive, but VERY nicely built
> with 3 included 120 mm fans and holes made for (but not included) 2 x
> 80 mm fans.
>
> > $70 to $100 for a power supply is perfectly reasonable.  Anything less
> > is generally too crappy.
>
> Well, I put in a Thermaltake TR-2 430 watt power supply in the above,
> ~$40. Not a great power supply, but decent value for the money.

The model with or without PFC?

Apparently the wires are too thin on the 12V feeds (at least compared
to what is considered appropriate).

It is in fact a particularly BAD power supply (it is not 430W it is
at best a 350W and only 70% efficient, not 80%+ that modern good power
supplies do).  Also not ATX 2.x compatible, only 1.x which means it
isn't really compatible with any modern motherboard.

For a good review of power supplies (in this case that model) see here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/1

--
Len Sorensen