Strange problem with FF on Gentoo

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 31 18:54:49 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm running Firefox 3.0.11 under Gentoo on an AMD 64, dual core. When I log
onto Baen's bar (a sci-fi publisher's set of fora, run by custom code on the
Baen server), I get a blank topic list when I log onto certain
high-traffic-volume fora. When I access with FF on windows, this doesn't
happen. I didn't see it on my laptop (running debian, using Iceweasel)
either. It DOES happen when I access on the Gentoo system using Konqueror
(I'm running KDE 3.5).

I suspect that it is a combination of a subtle bug in the bar code and a
Gentoo network configuration issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Colin

Late addendum - using the error terminal, I see that Firefox is generating a
"too much recursion" error as it loads the page. I also have the "one click
weather" extension, which I saw mentioned in connection with that error.