October meeting - call for short talks...

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 30 06:36:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, William Park wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:38:04 -0400
> From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: October meeting - call for short talks...
>
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 04:56:14PM -0400, Eric Battersby wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Christopher Browne wrote:
>>> Overview of screen would be nice...
>>>
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
>>> might be fun to observe that you might use that in conjunction with a
>>> window manager with near-identical key bindings such as...
>>>
>>> Ratpoison
>>> http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/
>
>>> Stumpwm
>>> http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/
>
>> I would second these choices.
>> Screen, I use all the time, but I'd like to know what others
>> do with it.  What programs are being run under screen?
>> For example, a useful and fast to start up, text-based MP3
>> player is 'mp3blaster', which when run under screen means no
>> interruption of your audio while X is restarted or the window
>> is killed.
>>
>> I tried Ratpoison, but I haven't decided if it is worth learning.
>> How efficient will this make my life?
>> What are people doing with it?
>
> I just tried Ratpoison.  Hmm, my default font (Courier 10pitch, 14pt)
> in KDE looks better than in Ratpoison... maybe KDE is loading some font
> aliasing or something.
>
> I'm not sure about the ultimate useability of Ratpoison or other
> non-mouse window managers.  Konsole has tabs, so you can have multiple
> console sessions; of course, Konsole can't detach like Screen.

Of course, that's a key part!
With Screen, you can detach from an xterm window, and reattach
in a VC screen, if you wanted to.
Or you can ssh into your box remotely and reattach quickly.
On one server box (no X), I *only* type 'ssh me at host'
and presto, screen reattaches automatically.
I rarely lose my "state" on that box.

Some of this work-flow could be done graphically with VNC
and X, but Screen does it so much more efficiently.

> Even
> though a graphic application gets its own full screen in Ratpoison, you
> have to use mouse within that application.  And, once your hand is on
> the mouse, it's quicker and easier to just move down and click an icon
> than to move your hand back to keyboard and type <C-t> key bindings.
>
> Ratpoison uses <C-t> whereas Screen uses <C-a> as command prefix.
> Unfortunately, <C-t> is used by Vim to return after jumping to a tag.

You can change the escape prefix in both Ratpoison and Screen.
For Screen, I use C-z, since C-a is used for "beginning of line"
in emacs/jove key bindings.

But now that you mention it, it makes sense to assign a single
key to such an important task, perhaps an F-key.

--
Eric B.