October meeting - call for short talks...

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 30 05:38:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 04:56:14PM -0400, Eric Battersby wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >Overview of screen would be nice...
> >
> >http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
> >might be fun to observe that you might use that in conjunction with a
> >window manager with near-identical key bindings such as...
> >
> >Ratpoison
> >http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

> >Stumpwm
> >http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/

> I would second these choices.
> Screen, I use all the time, but I'd like to know what others
> do with it.  What programs are being run under screen?
> For example, a useful and fast to start up, text-based MP3
> player is 'mp3blaster', which when run under screen means no
> interruption of your audio while X is restarted or the window
> is killed.
>
> I tried Ratpoison, but I haven't decided if it is worth learning.
> How efficient will this make my life?
> What are people doing with it?

I just tried Ratpoison.  Hmm, my default font (Courier 10pitch, 14pt)
in KDE looks better than in Ratpoison... maybe KDE is loading some font
aliasing or something.

I'm not sure about the ultimate useability of Ratpoison or other
non-mouse window managers.  Konsole has tabs, so you can have multiple
console sessions; of course, Konsole can't detach like Screen.  Even
though a graphic application gets its own full screen in Ratpoison, you
have to use mouse within that application.  And, once your hand is on
the mouse, it's quicker and easier to just move down and click an icon
than to move your hand back to keyboard and type <C-t> key bindings.

Ratpoison uses <C-t> whereas Screen uses <C-a> as command prefix.
Unfortunately, <C-t> is used by Vim to return after jumping to a tag.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>