October meeting - call for short talks...

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 29 20:56:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:41:59 -0400
> From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: October meeting - call for short talks...

> Overview of screen would be nice...
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
> might be fun to observe that you might use that in conjunction with a
> window manager with near-identical key bindings such as...
>
> Ratpoison
> http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/
> ratpoison is a simple Window Manager with no fat library dependencies,
> no fancy graphics, no window decorations, and no rodent dependence. It
> is largely modeled after GNU Screen which has done wonders in the
> virtual terminal market.
>
> Stumpwm
> http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/
> StumpWM is an X11 window manager written entirely in Common Lisp. Its
> user interface goals are similar to ratpoison's but with an emphasis
> on customizability, completeness, and cushiness.

I would second these choices.
Screen, I use all the time, but I'd like to know what others
do with it.  What programs are being run under screen?
For example, a useful and fast to start up, text-based MP3
player is 'mp3blaster', which when run under screen means no
interruption of your audio while X is restarted or the window
is killed.

I tried Ratpoison, but I haven't decided if it is worth learning.
How efficient will this make my life?
What are people doing with it?